I mentioned recently that I’ve started working on a ripple blanket, so I thought it would be fun to share some details – both for my own records and for those of you who are interested!
This blanket was the result of a sudden blanket making urge that came over me. It’s been over a year since I’ve made a blanket, and I just felt I wanted to make something new for the living room. I also knew I wanted it to be a ripple. I didn’t fancy making and joining individual squares for this for some reason – I just wanted something I could work calmly back and forth in rows rather than making and joining pieces. So a ripple it was.
I’m making this using a combination of Stylecraft Life and Stylecraft Special yarns. To be honest I haven’t historically been a huge fan of Stylecraft Special DK. I know it is very popular, and it has to be said that it can’t be beaten in terms of colour choice and price. I have only ever made one blanket with it before, and that was a few years ago now. Something about the colour and texture just never sat that well with me…I don’t know what it is. I don’t think its a yarn snob thing, but who knows!
The shades I am using are shown in the image mosaic, and are:
Top row left to right:
Special DK Parchment
Special DK Duck Egg
Life DK Rose
Middle row left to right:
Life DK Grey
Life DK Mint
Special DK Silver Grey
Bottom row left to right:
Special DK Storm Blue
Special DK Cream
Special DK Fuchsia Purple
Anyway, I’d read somewhere that the yarn had been slightly re-formulated and that there were some new shades, some of which looked like my kind of thing (duck-egg – I really love duck egg!). Also as I’d been looking for something affordable for blanket making purposes – let’s face it pure wool is waaay too bank balance busting when used on a blanket scale, and anyway, I wanted something that I could chuck in the washing machine without worrying too much. So, it seemed like the right time to give Stylecraft another whirl.
I have to say, that once my fingers got over the shock of switching from the 100% merino wool which I’ve used for my last few projects to 100% acrylic, I was pleasantly surprised!
I think the texture has changed compared to when I used the yarn last a few years ago. It’s actually got an almost chenille-ish feel in some of the colourways, which I don’t mind at all.
Needless to say I know have plans for another couple of blankets using this yarn – argh!